Learning to Lead
“Mercy women know how to lead by example for those who follow or those who have lost their way. Being a woman of Mercy is about how you carry yourself and act when no one is looking.” - Mercy Student
Mercy High School prepares women to be leaders - leaders in the classroom, in campus ministry, on the athletic fields, in community service, and in their class, club and school activities. Each summer, members of the new senior class are invited to participate in Go The Mile, an overnight experience designed to prepare them to be the leaders in their school. During Go The Mile, the seniors write the mission statement that will guide them as leaders during the coming school year.
Student Leaders' Mission Statement
We, the Senior Class of 2013, are Mercy Women living in the spirit of Catherine McAuley. We strive to be the epitome of classy and respectful young ladies, portraying Mercy High School as a wonderfully different community. We commit ourselves to helping girls grow into mature Women of Mercy in a supportive environment. We hope to encourage individually, but nurture an unbreakable bond of sisterhood, as well. We will persist in treating the other classes as we want to be treated. By including everyone and sharing our warmth and wisdom, we hope to pass the Mercy torch to the future generations of Mercy High School.
Student Leadership Organizations
National Honor Society
The National Honor Society recognizes superior scholarship, outstanding service, leadership and character in Mercy juniors and seniors. The McAuley chapter of the National Honor Society sponsors service projects for Mercy High School and the community. Members sponsor the Souper Bowl Food Drive and Red Cross Blood Drive, tutor other students at Mercy and in community centers, and collect gifts for social service agencies at Christmas and Easter.
National Honor Society Officers 2012-2013
- President – Samantha Formica
- Vice President (Committees) – Abby Geremia
- Vice President (Tutoring) – Catherine Kannam
- Secretary –Kerry Egan
- Treasurer – Mary McKenna
- Moderator: Mrs. Daniela Esposito
Spanish Honor Society
- President – Cassandra Santoro
- Vice President – Megan Nelson
- Secretary – Amanda Zacchia
- Treasurer – Sara Richardson
- Moderator: Mrs. Patricia LaBella
Peer Ministry is a year-long experience for seniors designed to build Christian leadership skills and enhance their personal and spiritual awareness. Peer Ministry provides Mercy with a team of spiritual leaders able to minister in the areas of liturgy, prayer, liturgical services, retreats, and in all other areas of spiritual need at Mercy. Peer Ministers are also expected to be of service in their own parishes and outside the Mercy community.
- Moderator: Ms. Ann Derbacher, Campus Minister
Student Activities Council
The Mercy High School Student Activities Council promotes school spirit through fun activities such as Spirit Days, Cake Auction, Walkathon, Talent Show, and dances with Xavier High School. They also plan the Father/Daughter Dance and the Mother/Daughter Mass and Brunch. Students enjoy all-school activities and also build their own class spirit through friendly competitions!
Student Council Officers 2012-2013
- President – Jane Landy
- Vice President – Erica Naumann
- Secretary – Hannah Sullivan
- Treasurer – Sara Richardson
- Moderator: Ms. Anne Drewry
Class Executive Boards
Each year, classes elect the students who will serve as their leaders in planning and carrying out events. Members serve on Class Executive Boards, where they learn how to coordinate their responsibilities, represent the needs of their classmates, and work as a leadership team.
Class of 2013 – Senior Class Executive Board
- Kathryn Bauer, Danielle Carta, Maria Gant, Kelsey Pietruska, Hope Tiezzi
- Moderators: Ms. Gianna Iannucci, Ms. Sanchita Maitra
Class of 2014 – Junior Class Executive Board
- Alyssa Case, Stephanie Case, Alexanfra Caudullo, Asten Donovan, Christy Parmenter
- Moderators: Mrs. Daria Fitzgerald, Mrs. Meg Malafronte
Class of 2015 – Sophomore Class Executive Board
- Carly Barrett, Kendall Ely, Kendra Landy, Julia Pisano, Felicia Ruffino
- Moderators: Mrs. Janette Dziatko, Ms. Lauren Daniels